Elder Grilliot in Uganda

Elder Grilliot in Uganda

Monday, April 22, 2013

"A MWODI" and ALLIGATORS


    There are a lot of things that you can do as an American in Uganda that you can't do anywhere else. One thing I love about this place is that you can walk down a road and find the biggest, toughest, meanest, looking dude around and give him a big wave and a goofy grin and he will smile back and wave like a little kid. Speaking of kids my companion and I discovered a new sport in Uganda, Children scaring. Kids here almost never see whites, so the moment that they see you they are in complete awe, and some in shock. So what my companion and I do is we try to devise new and creative ways to spook the children. It started off that when the kids kept yelling "muno!" at us (which in Langi means white) then we come sprinting at them screaming and they freak out and run away. But then we started creating even funnier ways of doing it, I would sit there and the kids passing by would stare at me from afar, pointing and telling each other "look a white guy", then while they are all looking at me I would call then hither. They would slowly start coming closer and closer  to me and then I would hold out my hands like I have something to give them, whitch would start bringing them even closer. Then as soon as they are within 5 ft of me my companion jumps of of his hiding place behind them and runs at them cackling and yelling "A MWODI!" (which basically means "I'M GOING TO EAT YOU!"). haha the kids freak out and run for their lives, I know that it's awful but it is just so funny. Don't worry about this scaring the kids for life though because the funny thing is that the kids you scare the most are the same ones who become comfortable around you the fastest.
   We went on Zone exchanges this week, so I got to work with another missionary besides my regular companion. This week I was with Elder McNeil, one of my zone leaders. He's a really cool guy, with a great sense of humor, he kind of reminds me of my brother Rick a little bit. Anyways we had lots of fun, plus since he's the zone leader we got to cruise around in a truck the whole day. We even took a ride to the farthest part of my area (just to see what was there) and we found a great big swamp. While we were at the swamp we saw these guys out on the swamp with a great bit net in a boat. We assumed they were searching for fish but then right as we got ready to drive back, we heard then yelling to each other and the boat starting rocking back and forth. Then before you know it all four guys are pulling this net up into their boat and pull up an alligator. They tie up its mouth and then fight with it for the next 10 min to chain up its legs and body. It was pretty crazy to see. I asked someone why they would want to catch an alligator and he told me that restaurants buy alligators for a high price, so I guess alligator meat is like a delicacy or something in Uganda haha. 
LOVE 
ELDER GRILLIOT

No comments:

Post a Comment